Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sisters...Sisters...

There were never such devoted sisters....


ok, sorry...done singing White Christmas now!



I am incredibly lucky to be close to my sister.  We weren’t always this way.  When she left for college, and we didn’t share the same space anymore, we were able to appreciate each other and the closer we became.  Sarah has always been my protector, my confidant, my truth teller, and my supporter.
I remember her first year of college (I think), we got this massive ice storm.  CIU and Ben Lippen were closed for over a week.  My mom was out of town, and our house lost power.  CIU surprisingly still had power, so my dad went to stay with the Boans, and I went to stay with Sarah in her dorm.  Now, her dorm wasn’t massive, but it wasn’t small either, and I slept on the two-seater pull out couch.  It was my first experience of dorm life, and Sarah could have easily been put out and annoyed that I was there, but she wasn’t.  She took care of me and we hung out together.  She could have easily not included me because it was her freshman year and wanted to hang out with her friends, but she didn’t.    I don’t think I will ever forget the way she treated me.  She may not even remember, but I do! 
Fast Forward a few years to when we worked in the same building, and she was just two floors up from me.  I would go see her on my breaks and talk to her about life.  There were days that I could have stayed up there for an hour because we were just talking about…well, everything!  A lot of moments were shared in the confines of her cubicle.  Now that she isn’t up there anymore, I truly miss those days.  It was nice to have a half hour each day to just talk to her.  I really miss her not being upstairs.  I think back on all the times when we had wardrobe and hair questions.  We would ask each other “does this look good”…. “do you like my hair”…. Or simply:  “fix this!”
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching her become a mother.  She is not your typical first time mother, in that she isn’t flustered.  Sarah is calm, collected, and goes with the flow.  He’s crying, she keeps it together until she can figure out why.  It is bedtime and he’s crying in his crib, she says “he will calm himself in a minute.”  At 3 weeks, mom and dad babysat so Ben and Sarah could go on a date, and they didn’t call to check in, or have a hurried dinner.  She (and Ben too) doesn’t watch you like a hawk when you are holding Caleb, or feeding him.  They let you do your thing.  Sarah writes a letter to Caleb every month and I have enjoyed reading those and seeing her love for that boy.  It’s amazing!
Sarah, thank-you for being my sister and for always loving me, laughing with and at me, supporting me, protecting me, and just plainly being there for me.  We have so much fun together, and I couldn’t have asked for anyone better.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment