Friday, December 16, 2011

Thankfulness

The more I get out in the real world, the more I am thankful for my upbringing. I'm more aware of the way my parents raised me, and the standard they instilled in me. Now, I understand that it is my decision to follow their guidelines, I could ignore them completely, but thankfully it's rooted in me.

I'm very thankful that they instilled in me a good work ethic. It has served me well at my job. It's the reason that I was approached to become an admin assistant for Keith. The higher ups liked they way I worked and decided it was at the level needed to move into this position. I work hard, when I get to work, I'm at work. I keep busy, I find things to do, because I can see the bigger picture. It's amazing to me, how some people do not have this same ethic. They could care less, they are there to get a paycheck and they don't care how good of a job they do. My friend at work told me the other day "you realize you spoil the boss..." I responded with huh? and he said "you are dedicated, reliable, on time, and hard working, unlike other people on the floor." It's sad to me that these character traits are described as "spoiling" Shouldn't they be the norm?


I'm also they instilled in me the idea that the world doesn't revolve around me! I obviously don't mean that they don't pay me any attention, in fact its the opposite, they have been so incredibly helpful during this house building project - more than some parents would and I can't thank them enough for that. Instead, they taught me that I am one person of many. I don't have to be the center of attention all the time. Things aren't "my way or the highway". They taught me to work/play with others, to give other people attention, to help others out. This again, is rare now a days. So often, whether it be at work, in restaurants, or in the car, people think it's all about them. We see it with kids, everyone makes the team because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings - its all about the individual, not the team. Instead of helping people, letting someone in front of you in traffic,or when someone tells a story don't start thinking of your own to "out do" theirs. Let them talk, vent, get it out, whatever they need. The world doesn't revolve around me.


Another thing, I'm grateful for, is that they taught me to live within my means. To set budgets, to not rely on the next paycheck, or worry about to work overtime to get some more cash, and more importantly - not go into debt. I'm so glad that they gave me the principles and training to live within my means. It's the reason why I can buy a house at the age of 25. I'm not in debt, I don't live paycheck to paycheck, I have savings, I don't worry about my finances. Do you know how freeing that is? I know people who aren't like that, and I feel sorry for them.


I'm very thankful that they not only taught me these things, but they also lived them out as an example for me. My life is great thanks to my parents, and their role in my life as a child, and as an adult. I wouldn't be the person I am today without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment