Friday, June 3, 2011

Commitments

I am weird - I will fully admit it and am not ashamed of it. I am random, sometimes there isn't a rhyme or reason as to why I do the things that I do.

I usually have no problems with commitments. If I say I am going to do something, then I will. I don't like to back out of things - I hate calling a doctors office to cancel, or a friend to bail on dinner. It annoys me to do those things and I feel bad because I feel I have wasted their time. I am committed to my work - I have an above normal work ethic (not trying to gloat, just be honest), I love my job and want to do my best at it.

However, there are 2 things that I can't commit to - buying an iPad, and getting a tattoo. I have thought about both of these things for years. An iPad since it came out, and a tattoo since 2004. For some reason, I just can't bit the bullet.

I have loved the iPad since it was first revealed. My brother has one, my dad has one and I love them!! They are neat, handy, small - yet bigger than my iPhone, quick, convenient. My problem: I have a computer, and an iPhone....why do I need an iPad? Well the bottom line is that I don't NEED one, but I WANT one! I am having a hard time justifying spending $500 on something that I have 2 things capable of doing all that the iPad does. However - it is constantly in the back of my mind to get one. Now I have been known to let money burn a hole in my pocket, but that isn't the case here. I don't know why....

The second thing is a tattoo! I know, this might shock some of you, but I have wanted one since I was a junior in high school. I think they are cool (to an extent) and can be very tasteful. I know if I were to get one, it would be on my foot or my ankle. I now know what I would get. The problem: do I want to have this for the rest of my life, I don't want to get something that is odd, I want something that has meaning, but I don't want to over-spiritualize it and use that as justification to get one. I also wonder what people think - I know that you shouldn't worry about that, but, I do wonder what my family would think, what my friends would think. I have pondered this for 6 years, and just recently decided dead-set what I would get. Yet, I still have a hard time committing to it.

So these are the 2 things that I have been keeping in the back of my mind for years now, and can't seem to get rid of them. Part of me is very close to committing to both, but other parts of me are still hesitant and wonder if I will ever make a decision.

Only time will tell I guess...

1 comment: